Insuring a property while being senior

Real Estate insurance for seniors

In recent years, thanks to the various draft laws that have been put in place, the insurance market has been greatly disrupted. With the new termination facilities of the Lagarde, Chatel, and Hamon laws, it is easier for you to compete, whether in terms of guarantees or tariffs. Insurers have understood this and are adapting their offers to make them more attractive and more targeted, especially among seniors who appear as a niche market.

Insure a property according to its profile

There are a large number of offers and it is difficult to find your way around. If you are over the age of 50, the first criterion you must meet is your senior status.
The second step consists in detailing your property profile and your needs: Are you a homeowner? Non-occupying owner? Tenant? For each status its type of contract, we will address them later.
Finally, the question of additional guarantees arises. This is where senior status is most important. Various services adapted to seniors exist to help and support them:

  • 24H/24 Assistance
  • Psychological support in the event of a disaster
  • Relocation

Homeowner’s Insurance

If you own and occupy the property, first know that you do not have to take out comprehensive home insurance. However, if you are concerned about protecting your wealth in complete serenity, it proves to be a wise choice.

Otherwise, there are still essential coverages such as rental liability, which is the minimum in terms of home insurance. Optional coverages can of course be added to this type of contract

Non-occupant homeowner’s insurance

If you own property that you use very little, such as a vacation home, or if you have moved into a senior’s residence after leaving your home, the home insurance and benefits offered vary.

You can give priority to an additional guarantee specific to your non-occupant owner status, but choose optional guarantees to complete your contract.

In the case of a second home, several elements are essential such as theft coverage and property damage coverage. For new or recent homes, it is important to consider guarantees equivalent to the multi-risk home as they extend over a period of 10 years.

Tenant Insurance

Unlike a landlord, a tenant has to take out home insurance for the property he occupies. This is a condition of continued lease and cannot be maintained if such insurance is missing.

As the tenant is liable to the owner of the property he occupies, he must take out rental liability insurance which protects him against rental risks and damage caused to the property.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *